467 Lower Pitone Road, Tataraimaka, New Plymouth
Tataraimaka is one of the great pa of the Taranaki tribe. It was attacked and taken about 1820 by a northern taua (war party) named after its leader Murupaenga of Ngati Whatua. The storming of the pa followed the first ever use of guns in the region. The pa site is managed by the Department of Conservation.
Across the road at the Fort St George Redoubt there is a memorial to Maori who were killed in the Battle of Katikara on 4 June 1863 when a large government force attacked a Maori fortification. More than 20 Maori warriors were killed in the Battle. The warriors came from several iwi including Taranaki, Ngati Ruanui and Whanganui.