Kawau Island, Hauraki Gulf Islands
Moturereka, Shipwreck Island, directly out from Martins bay. Great snorkeling spot, sheltered anchoring on the right winds.
The history of the wreck as taken from Wikipedia is as follows:
A full-rigged four-masted steel ship constructed in the English seaport of Whitehaven in Cumbria, and launched as the "Alice A.Leigh" in 1889, later changed into a four-masted barque and renamed the Rewa, now forms an artificial breakwater on the northeastern side of the island.
She was sunk intentionally by the island's owner Charles Hanson in 1930. The masts can still be seen laying in the water at the bow of the Rewa.
When the Rewa was sunk the top deck was cut off her as the tide came in which is why she is cut on an angle.
The Family Laing-Smith owned and lived on the island for many years trading as commercial fishermen. The concrete foundation of the house can still be found on the island tracks were cut in by bulldozer for logging purposes ( they can still walked today) The island passed through one other owner before being gifted to DOC
More on the history coming soon.