19 Maronan Road, Tinwald, Tinwald, Ashburton
The Plains Railway & Historical Museum was founded by the Ashburton Railway & Preservation Society in 1971 to preserve the Mid-Canterbury regions past.
Since then the museum has grown to incorporate a farm, worked by our vintage machinery, a pioneer village and - of course - a vintage railway.
It was the railway that brought the museum international recognition, with the restoration of Rogers K 88, which was dug out of a river where it had been buried for 50 years and returned to operational service in 1981.
Alongside Rogers 'K' 88, which pulled New Zealand's first 'express' passenger train between two urban centres, the museum is home to Dubs & Co 'A' 64, New Zealand's second oldest operational Steam Locomotive. Also on shed is Hillside, Dunedin built 'Ja' 1260, which hauled New Zealand's last steam hauled express and Vulcan Railcar 'RM' 50 - still New Zealands official Rail Speed Record holder.>