The Timaru Botanic Gardens are located on 19 hectares of land in south Timaru. This land has been used for gardens and recreation since 1864, when the site was first gazetted as a public reserve. In 2014 the Timaru Botanic Gardens was recognised as a Garden of National Significance by the New Zealand Gardens Trust. The main entrance is in Queen Street near the corner of King Street.?? To enter you pass through the ornate Gloucester Gates which were opened by the Duke of Gloucester in 1935. In 1938 land for the Timaru Hospital was subdivided from the Botanic Gardens providing patients and visitors with a lovely environment for rest, recuperation and reflection. Key features: ? Graeme Paterson Conservatory and Fernery ? Ornamental ponds ? Interpretive centre ? Aviary ? Cenotaph and War Memorial Wall ? Anderson Rose Garden ? Band rotunda ? Children's playground ? Species Rose Garden ? Native plant collections ? Threatened plant collections ? Ornamental plantings ? Pinetum ? Queen Victoria Garden ? Many plant collections The Timaru Botanic Gardens provides some very attractive vistas as well as a year round interest for plant lovers. It is a photographer's delight. A highlight for children is feeding the ducks on a Saturday as by Sunday they are usually too well fed to be interested.