Sturm's Gully Reserve
The Council purchased the gully and its dense stand of mature trees in 1967. The reserve is named after Austrian-born botanist and horticulturist F W C Sturm, who established a plant nursery here in about 1865.
Sturm grew fruit trees, berries and vines and built stone retaining walls in the gully. Early Napier residents enjoyed the area as a picnic spot, and bathed at the sandy beach that was at the foot of the hill.
Walking tracks lead from entrances on Lighthouse and Hornsey roads to link up with the Bluff Hill Lookout.
In 1997, all the elm trees in the gully had to be removed to contain an outbreak of Dutch Elm Disease.