About Waiteata Park
Waiteata Park is enjoyed because of its natural character, it's a treasured neighbourhood reserve with play equipment, plenty of open space, picnic tables and a car park.
Waiteata Park was purchased by the Council in 1909. It takes its name from the stream which runs diagonally through it; the Maori name Wai-te-ata translated into English means ?the clear gently flowing water?. It has been used for a number of different purposes over the years. During World War II the land was used for grazing and cropping, and in 1921 netball was played at the park.